Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 Review

While I am typing this post, it is but ten Hours until we say goodbye to 2008 and WELCOME 2009. But, before we finally leave this year, I would just want to refresh myself of the extreme memories I had this 2008. I mean my happiest and saddest time of this year.

Let me begin…


As usual, this month was full of hopes and dreams for the entire year. At this point, I can remember that it was a somewhat busy month for me already, same as well with my group mates in our Seminar Nursing. Just to say it, I was still a graduating student this time. And why are we so busy? Hmmm….Because on the 2nd day of our 1st week of class, it was already our group’s turn to host our seminar (which happens every week since the start of our second semester). Our topic was about cardiovascular diseases, Stroke and Dengue. To make the long story short, God saved the day.

It was also this month where I received my application form for the Honors’ List of our batch. Of course, I wasn’t expecting it since I really believed that I was already disqualified of such privilege since I became an irregular student when I shifted my course from Medical Technology to Nursing. But, then, I must admit for all those years (starting my first year in Nursing), I never failed to pray that a miracle will happen and I would still make it even just to be a Cum Laude when I graduate college. So, when I received that form, I was really shocked and also doubtful. But, nonetheless I kept it.

If my memory serves me right, it was by the last week of January when my father was diagnosed via CT SCAN to have hepatocellular carcinoma, or in simple terms, “LIVER CANCER.” I could not believe it since my father was not an alcoholic and he never had blood transfusion. But, I just don’t know I he was able to be in contact with an infected blood through an open wound. I am not aware as well, if he acquired it genetically.


I was becoming busier this month since it was during this time when we had our final exam. Graduating students always take the final exam first. I think it’s true with any school (or at least to all the schools I attended to since my elementary days: St. John Early Learning Center and Notre Dame of Tacurong for Boys). But, when our final exam was over, we were left with nothing to do but go to school and wait for further announcement. But technically speaking, we didn’t have class already. So, we really had our time of the year. I just can’t remember what kept me busy during those free times.

Again, it was another loveless Valentine.
It was this month also when my father was scheduled to have liver biopsy to know if the tumor was really malignant and to stage the cancer. But, unfortunately his blood works were bad and so the doctors decided not to push through with the procedure since it would just do more harm than good to my father.


This month was when the MIRACLE that I had been praying for, for years had finally came straight into my face. We were at Lito Sy (SM branch) that time for our picture taking for our club, and it was our moderators who told me that I belong to the honors’ list. When they arrived, they immediately congratulated me and I didn’t know why. I asked them and when I found out the reason, tears just started to fall from my eyes. I had goose bumps and the feel of electricity running down my spine---I just can’t believe it. I made it and it was more than what I prayed for. I asked God to be even just a Cum Laude during our graduation but he made me a “Magna Cum Laude,” instead. But even that time, I was still doubtful. I thought it was just a mistake. So, I waited for tomorrow to come since it was the next day when the official list of honors was posted. I was having my extension duty that time, then my classmate who happened to be a Magna Cum Laude also confirmed what my moderators told me last night. After I had read his message, that was the time I said to my parents that it’s sure and I also sent a text message to my aunt (the one who pays for my studies) informing her of my accomplishment. She didn’t reply immediately. But, later she did and told me that she sent me a message quite late because she just can’t keep herself from shedding tears of joy.

Moving on, this was also the start of the monthly check-up of my father at his doctor in Davao Doctors Hospital.


I finally had my medal and nursing pin during this month. Our graduation took place on April 2 (I guess) at the CAP Auditorium and our Pinning Ceremony on April 5 at Davao Convention. After our graduation, we had a family lunch at Gerry’s Grill and then a family merienda at our house in Bangkal. Also after our pinning ceremony, we had a small family party at our house. When I went home to our hometown (Tacurong), my parents also threw a party for me. It wasn’t that big, but it was enough to make all the guests full. Actually I told them not to, but I guess you can’t really stop proud parents to celebrate for their son’s achievements. It’s such a humbling and flattering experience for me of course.

This month, I can say KARMA happens so fast. I started to really believe in it this time. It was that I became such an evil son to my father when I fought back (through words) to him out of money. I knew then, that it was not right, but still it didn’t keep me form pushing through even to the point that I didn’t talk to him.

Later on, when the world retaliated for my father, I can’t help but cry and blame myself for what happened. The idea that our parents really want what’s best and what’s right for us came running on my thoughts. I kept on crying and crying for being such an asshole. I didn’t say sorry to my father verbally since I am not that vocal when it comes to my feelings to my parents. But, I showed him through my actions of how sorry I was and how I wanted to pay back for my mistakes.


I have to combine these months already since I just had the same agenda during these times----to finish all my DR and OR Cases and for my exhibit forms to be signed by the CIs, Nursing Supervisors, Chief Nurse and our Dean.

I must say, it was a very, very, very to the highest superlative exaggerated level so, so, so tiring and tedious process (excuse me with my grammar, I just need to emphasize a fact). So for the nursing students out there, you must start as early as possible. As for me, I actually started late April and I was done by August already.

Fortunately, I didn’t have problems at PRC when I applied for the November 2008 NLE. I was at their office from 4:00 AM and I was at number 30 plus already in the priority list. I was finished at around 2:00 PM. I was still fortunate at that state since other students who came even earlier than me had their application forms approved by the PRC at around 6:00 pm already. Still, there are some who had to go back the following day because of some problems.


Again, I had to combine these months because I also had the same happenings during these times. Starting August 26, we already had our review for the upcoming November 29 and 30, 2008 Nursing Licensure Exam.


It was by the first week of October when Chad and I, the one I love now started to exchange some text messages. But, it wasn’t that often. He was the one who sent me a message at friendster and later on we became text mates.

On the 17th of October, as I was about to go to SM for midnight shopping, my father started to vomit blood and later he started to faint. We rushed him to Davao Doctor’s Hospital and I even had to carry him to the taxi because he can’t walk already.

I want to put these words so fast because I don’t want to refresh myself of those times. Immediately when he was at ER already, the doctors checked on him and transferred him to the Coronary Care Unit (CCU). As for me, I had to have a blood to be transfused to my father. I went to Red Cross and when I asked to the MedTech in charge how much it will cost me, he said about seven thousand pesos. I didn’t know what to do that time. At first, I thought that what if there are no stocks of type B+ at Red Cross. So, I sent messages to my friends asking if they match the blood of my father and if they could be a donor just in case. Then, later on I send a message to them if they have extra money because our money will still arrive the following day that time. To add up to the series of unfortunate events, my cell phone was also turned off because it was lowbatt already. I had a charger with me but still it was dysfunctional. But, there came a light from heaven and somewhat an angel came down to help me. It happens that my friend in MedTech department way back in college was in duty that time, so I borrowed his cell phone. Immediately when I inserted my SIM card, my cousin called up and said he’s on his way already and that he has money with him for the blood. More so, he was about to go to DMC Blood Bank if I didn’t tell him that I was at Red Cross. He was at Claveria that time (just near Red Cross). Then, I said it was like a puzzle coming into pieces. Everything was coming perfectly. When I came back to my friend, he even said to me that I just have to pay half of the price. I only paid three thousand pesos out of the 7000 pesos cost of the blood. It was that some of the blood are Fresh Frozen Plasma, and all of which he gave for free since each of them have stocks of FFP. My two best friends who were at SM that time also followed me at Red Cross to give me some comfort and to cheer me up.

Unfortunately, the doctors did everything they can to save my father’s life, but his body can not really take it anymore. He started to deteriorate every second. It was 2:15 AM of October 19, 2008 when my father was proclaimed dead.

Our relatives from Tacurong came at Davao City early in the morning and before lunch we were all back at Tacurong already. Rituals of cleansing and dressing of the dead were done at our house. And by three o’clock in the afternoon, my father was already buried six feet below the ground. I forgot to tell you, my father is a Muslim and so his body must be buried within 24 hours after his death.

We had to stay at Tacurong until the seventh day of our father’s death since it is part of the Muslim tradition to have a somewhat party for the dead on the 3rd and 7th day. Of course, the same thing happens on the 40th day after his death.


This month, we were already at the Critical Phase of our review where we had pre and post test almost everyday (because sometimes we only have pretest). We also had out Pre-board this time as well as our final coaching, where I had seen another object of my affection.

November 28 was the 40 days of my father and it was November 26 when our review was finally over. So, the following day, I went to Tacurong immediately to celebrate with the 40 days of my father. I also came back to Davao, after lunch of November 28.

Then, the days that we had been waiting for had finally come. It was November 29 and 30 already--- our Board Exam. On the first day of exam, I woke up at around 2:45 in the morning, then I watched and listened to some inspirational music videos at youtube, namely This is the Moment of Erik Santos and Bring it all back by Sclub7. I had my breakfast at Jollibee that time.

When I arrived at our testing center, which was also my alma mater, SPC, I didn’t expect that my crush since our final coaching was also there. So it adds up to my inspiration. I wasn’t really affected anymore by the death of my father for I believe he was giving me the strength to go on with living and that he was also helping me during the days of our exams.


On December 7, Chad came at Davao so as we could meet-up and spend some time together. Fortunately, we went on well with each other. We stayed in Gaisano Mall from 12 noon till it closed at 8 pm. We ate our lunch at Spazio, he treated me. Then, we watched Twilight…I treated him. It was give and take and I knew we both loved such idea.

We ate our dinner at JFC to save some money. Then, we went back at GMall till 8pm. After it, I suggested that we go to Kasagingan for some coffee because it was still early. So we did. We stayed and talked there until 11pm I think. And we became both emotional with our conversation as the night gets deeper. He said to me that, because of his recent break-up with his ex-bf he had told himself that he won’t love again…Then, added further, but you came and changed my mind. Moreover, he said that we must take things slowly and that we have to get to know each other more and spend more time with each other.

At around 12 midnight, we arrived at our house at Bangkal already. He slept with me at my bed and of course we had a wonderful time together. I need not enumerate every detail of it since it will just give my post a XXX rating. In the morning, we ate breakfast together. Actually, I brought the food at my room. Funny though, because I brought it too early and when he decided to eat, we already had a cold meal. But, it was ok since we had an early breakfast, as well. And you know what I mean. I said early breakfast and not midnight snacks. They differ…We both had a share of it.

At present, I am taking things easy with him. I am on the process of getting rid of my expectations and just hoping for things to get better someday.

So for now, join with me in our COUNTDOWN to 2009….








Altogether…Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to far….

SMILE Everyone.

Think Positive.

2009 will be a lot better than 2008.

God Bless.

Enjoy your New Year.

Again, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all.



No comments:

Post a Comment